Blender Game Engine Update

I'm getting to grips with coding Python now. It's a lot easier than I'd anticipated - generally just a lot of common sense combined with creative problem solving. It's opened up a whole new area of games for me and it's been really satisfying being able to combine creative and technical ideas to create awesomeness.

I've coded my own mouselook script which is a bit more hacky than some of the more elegant mathematical solutions (matrixes scare me too much). I've had a look into some of the more complicated maths and it's truly mind boggling.

Also coded is automatically updating grass position, based on the player, to keep polycount at a minimum.

I managed to also put together a cool physics kite that you control with WASD. The frame is basically a rigid body and the ribbons are soft body.

I also modelled some rocks and flowers. Wooo.




Something else that I've been working on tonight is a level of detail system. After using Unity and it's automatic billboarding of trees for LOD, I realised I could code something similar relatively easily (though the billboarding texture is manually created). The following script allows for 3 states, high quality, low quality and disappeared. This means that when you're far away from trees it renders the low quality tree and if you're really far away it disappears, but if you're up close it's in full detail. This saves huge amounts of resources and allows for much more detailed scenes within the game engine.

I've deliberately subdivided the trees so they're 200,000 tris when at full detail, displaying the potential fps increase that can be gained.



1 Response to "Blender Game Engine Update"

  • JustOneCoolBlog Says:

    Good day! First of all I would like to say that you actually have customized a gorgeous portal. In addition to that I would like to ask you a question which is very intriguing for me. Did you participate in some competitions that involve online blogs?


Post a Comment