Illustration to 3D: Texture void of perspective

So I've been experimenting today with some bits and bobs. I spent some of yesterday and today compiling some inspiration for the final project. I have a rough idea in my mind for the game so have been putting fragments of ideas together in a bid to gain some clarity.

I'm mashing any inspiration I've found over the years into a single mashed up inspiration heap here http://henryhoffman.tumblr.com/

Something I've noticed from quite a few pieces, is the use of flat tiled textures, that sit flatly against the character. Here's an example (not my work):

Notice how the dress and the wallpaper are made up of a flat seamless texture? This is an effect I've not seen in 3D work before, probably because when UV mapping game characters the texture coordinates are based on the model's vertices. This means the texture wraps around the object and moves with it (like you would expect it to in real life).

So I've been playing with a tool called the material node editor in the Blender Game Engine and have created a technique that multiplies a pattern texture over a defined colour. The coordinates of the texture then are based on the screen, essentially recreating the effect seen in the 2d image above.

It's a bit of a mind warp when used excessively because the sense of depth is fighting with the 2d effect, though when used subtly to aid in an illustrative effect, I think it could be quite effective.

Have a look at the result:


6 Response to "Illustration to 3D: Texture void of perspective"

Post a Comment